 General / 43897
Re: My Chosen Hobby
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 2003 04:49:14 GMT

In lugnet.general, John Gerlach wrote:
In lugnet.general, David Koudys wrote:
My nephew (age 12) is a *huge*
fan of Bionicle, and so are most of his friends.

A question, just because I'm curious:  Are they fans of Bionicle to *play* with,
or to *collect*?  Do the sets get used, or are they just built and set on a
shelf somewhere?

I've been in too many stores where I heard some kid point out a Bionicle set to
Mom or Dad and said "I don't have this one, yet" or "Here's a new one"...

Its a good question. I know a lot of kids have the collector mentality with
Bionicle. One aspect of consumerism I really don't like, but its life. In the
toy business, many other people do it, and LEGO has to do it to survive. If
that's what gives me bricks to buy, so be it.

However, I've seen many a kid building with Bionicle parts and being creative
and learning. Its an extension to the building system. Sure, its a diversion
from studs and tubes, but still connects to them in limited ways, and works
seamlessly with Technic. Check out the new movie sets - Takanuva, Makuta, Jaller
& Gukko, and Takua & Pewku. Its all technic! I have Takanuva sitting right here
... was a rather complex build, of technic parts. Parts which are very useful in
other models.

I say Bionicle enhances the LEGO building system, and heartily disagree with
people who say it detracts from it.

-Tim