 General / 43822
Re: My Chosen Hobby
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 19:37:13 GMT

In lugnet.general, Chris Phillips wrote:

<snip>

Again, this misses the point.  I think what most people are upset about is not
new colors appearing, but old colors disappearing.  Sorry to flog a Dark Grey
horse...

- Chris.

I didn't state it as clearly as I intended, then--I understand the disappearance
of colours.  I was having issue with the approach of many individuals--It's like
me demanding, in a very unpleasant way, that TLC bring back the wheels with the
metal axles and the 2x4's with axle holes on all 4 sides.  Another point--I
would love to see the 1x4 brick with chrome headlight pattern from the '70's
come back.  Will I cuss up and down that TLC discontinued that particular brick?
No.

It was a business decision to stop producing those particular models of bricks,
just as it is for them to change the colours.  It's their business, and they
have to make business decisions.

If we have an issue, we can ask politely that they reconsider this decision.
I'm responding to the 'all is doom for us AFOLers!' and the 'TLC sux' rants.
Using an example from past hooplas like the Bionicle rants, I tried to show that
maybe all the ranters should just tone it down a notch and see what transpires.

The flurry of activity this colour change has produced on LUGNET is just
staggering.  We have passionate individuals who cherish our collective chosen
hobby.  We all anjoy LEGO, or we wouldn't be here in this discussion group.
However, sometimes our passion gets the best of us and things get said.  I'm
more guilty of this than most--just look in o.t-d (sorry 'bout questioning your
humanity, Hoppy).

Every now and then, though, we should just sit back, take a deep breath, and
realize that, for at least my lifetime anyway, TLC's still here, and they still
make a pretty good product, and we still actively partake in LEGO related
activities--perhaps we could just calm down a second.  Absolutely get the
petitions going and write letters, but please do so politely and with
consideration and respect towards each other and to TLC.

Dave K