 General / 43782

Subject:
My Chosen Hobby
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 16:15:19 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

This may come as a surprise to many people, but one of my hobbies is creating
things with LEGO bricks.

Shocked?  I know that my parents still are, and this after 30+ years of me
playing with the 'Automatic Binding Brick'.

It's my chosen hobby--a conscious decision was made many times thru my life to
continue this hobby.

Thru high school, when all my friends put away their collections, and snickered
when they found out that I didn't--I still had mine in a box in my room, waiting
for a spare moment between homework and other things, for when the inspiration
hit.

Into college, when I perhaps should have put the bricks away on a more permanent
basis, I didn't, and every so often I'd be in the mood to build an 18 wheeler,
or what I dared called a 'robot' (this was the '80's, you understand--no RCX!
*gasp!*), which interfaced with my Commodore 64.

Then as my 20's went by, I still had my collection (and it was getting bigger
all the time for I never stopped buying LEGO bricks), and my friends, now being
beyond the 'LEGO ain't cool to play with as an adult', would, after church on
Sunday, stop by for tea, cookies, and an afternoon of creating.

And now I'm almost thru my 30's and there appears no signs of me abandoning this
particular hobby.

Sort of a tangent, I was at a hobby show recently, in which 'us LEGO guys'
displayed many of our creations.  Right across the aisle from us whas the
'Meccano guys', with all their creations.  Now Meccano, as a company, has
'reinvented' themselves thru the years--instead of steel plates and girders, now
there's plastic stuff.  Whatever--those guys still have their collections, and
they still actively pursue their chosen hobby.

Why?

Because they like it!  They like building their nifty creations with Meccano.  I
like making things with LEGO.  That's my bottom line.

There was much furor and hoopla and name calling and ranting and raving when
Bionicle came out.  "Oh it's not real LEGO!  What's TLC thinking??"  When I saw
that Alien queen the other day, I'd like to say to all those yippy people--'Well
look at that!  An awesome creation using Bionicle parts!  Just quit yer b**ching
and go create stuff!  This is what LEGO is for!'  My nephew (age 12) is a *huge*
fan of Bionicle, and so are most of his friends.  In my opinion, it was a good
move for TLC.  Yet, still according to some here, it wasn't.

Bottom line?  TLC, change the colours or don't change the colours--It's your
company.  You will stumble sometimes, and I guarantee you that you will not make
everyone happy with all the many different decisions you make on a daily basis.
I applaud your efforts to do what's right for your company and your product.

And if you, the AFOL, don't like the new colours?  Then don't buy the new
colours.  "But what about my MOCs?  I won't be able to colour match!!"  Well,
I'd like to see the '67 Camaro make a comeback as well, but I don't see that
company reissuing the car just 'cause the fans want it.  Times change.  Can you
imagine what would have happened if this tirade happened when TLC released green
in more than just baseplates?  "Hey TLC!!  Stick with the original red, white,
blue, yellow, and black bricks!!"  I don't even remember any shade of grey
before '78.

I'm a big believer in letter writing campaigns.  That's what kept Star Trek on
the air for 3 seasons.  That said, there's a difference between a politely
worded letter in support of your cause, and some of the tirades and rants I've
seen here.  Who would I want to listen to if I were head of 'Colour Research' at
TLC?  A well spoken person who articulates thier position clearly, concisely,
and, above all, politely?  Or some 'foaming at the mouth'  "'cause I'm so ****
that the ****'s are changing the ***** colours!!!"

From me, a quick message to TLC--Know that for 30+ years you've made this
particular fan of the brick very happy with his hobby.

Dave K
-I give it a month before someone posts a MOC with new colours that'll make many
people say "Wow!  Didn't think about that!"

Re: My Chosen Hobby