 General / 43584
  Re: Fwd from a builder: Colors don't match, among other things!

(...) 2 words: Coke II. But I doubt it is that drastic. As for clutch, I don't think they would have done anything major without hordes of focus groups expressing their joy at how much easier it is to disconnect two plates. For some adults that's (...) (21 years ago, 15-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Fwd from a builder: Colors don't match, among other things!

(...) I wonder if some of the older dyes have become either unobtainable or have been outlawed in Europe. Some of the older dyes, even food colourings, are now deemed harmful. TLC may not have any choice in the matter. As far as rounded edges on (...) (21 years ago, 15-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Fwd from a builder: Colors don't match, among other things!

(...) I did some goolging and found this interesting page. (URL) LEGO has been spending serious bucks into the plastics recycling business. Now, the way I see it, if LEGO is putting all this money into this then I'd think they did some serious (...) (21 years ago, 16-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Fwd from a builder: Colors don't match, among other things!

(...) That's my guess about what's happening. Chamfering would make parts somewhat easier to assemble (just like in carpentry, the dowels for a dowel joint are chamfered for easier insertion) at a cost of some gripping. I'll have to buy some of (...) (21 years ago, 16-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Fwd from a builder: Colors don't match, among other things!

(...) Two questions: a) At what point in history did LEGO bricks become so difficult to assemble that a fundamental change was required to the very mechanism upon which this construction system was based? b) If you are already having difficulties (...) (21 years ago, 16-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Fwd from a builder: Colors don't match, among other things!

(...) With all the new coloring products coming on the market, it would be strange if Lego could not get exactly what it wanted in a color. Having played with them now, I think the new colors are great. (...) Having purchased said SW minis, I did (...) (21 years ago, 16-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Fwd from a builder: Colors don't match, among other things!

(...) replying to myself.. the new gray is not very earthy. I tried to add the 2x2 tiles to a landscape which has a lot of gray. The new gray looks very antiseptic. How appropriate for a Star Destroyer. It looks like the float on newly poured (...) (21 years ago, 16-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Fwd from a builder: Colors don't match, among other things!

(...) This article is a quite interesting read. What jumped out at me was the mention that different colors of ABS have different specific gravities (within a small overall range). I wonder if the saline solution would have a detrimental effect on (...) (21 years ago, 16-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.db.brictionary, lugnet.cad, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Fwd from a builder: Colors don't match, among other things!

(...) The chamfering could also help the finished piece get out of the mold faster/easier, maybe the plates got stuck in the machine? -- Anders Isaksson, Sweden BlockCAD: (2 URLs) (21 years ago, 16-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Fwd from a builder: Colors don't match, among other things!

(...) Wouldn't you then also surmise that you'd have to round off the edges of the plates/bricks too? I just can't imagine that after 40+ years the cylindrical stud with the more or less flat top has suddenly become difficult to manufacture. Is the (...) (21 years ago, 16-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Fwd from a builder: Colors don't match, among other things!

(...) Lego has CONSTANTLY been perfecting the designs of pieces. Witness the hole in the minifig head; the slots in the sides of the Technic pin; etc., etc., etc. The camfering is another step in the ongoing development of product, though for what (...) (21 years ago, 17-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Fwd from a builder: Colors don't match, among other things!

(...) I totally agree. What I didn't agree with was the logic being used to suggest why these changes were being made. I was trying to express my disbelief that changes were happening because parts were getting too difficult to manufacture. If these (...) (21 years ago, 17-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Fwd from a builder: Colors don't match, among other things!

(...) Right--I don't agree with that either. It's not a manufacturing issue or a cost-saving issue, it's a marketing thing probably based on ease of assembly (if it's not a mistake, which I'm still willing to believe based on my Mos Eisley (...) (21 years ago, 18-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Fwd from a builder: Colors don't match, among other things!

(...) So this microscopic change to the studs makes them easier to assemble? Worse yet, this suggests that today's kids are not as dexterous as we were 25 or 30 years ago? This is really hard to believe. Any average 6 year-old can use their superior (...) (21 years ago, 18-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Fwd from a builder: Colors don't match, among other things!

(...) Not that kids can't put them together, but to make it easier--just like holes in the minifig heads made them easier to pull off and slots in the technic pins made them easier to pull out. Making a change to make something easier for the user (...) (21 years ago, 18-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Fwd from a builder: Colors don't match, among other things!

(...) I thought the holes in the minifig heads were for safety reasons, to prevent choking if a child were to attempt to swallow them. I think I saw that mentioned in a LEGO book somewhere... C (21 years ago, 18-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Fwd from a builder: Colors don't match, among other things!

(...) We now know that this is a moot point, but something worries me about your logic: (...) Your statements are true.... IF we are talking about a product or design that is relatively new... perhaps only a few years old. Then there is the (...) (20 years ago, 19-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Recycled Lego

In lugnet.general, Adrian Egli wrote: (URL) (...) Wonders what LEGO molds with the new bricks ? Plus what colours are the result ? (20 years ago, 19-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Recycled Lego

Well if you actually READ the article, it is clear that they mold whatever they wish, as the granules are used in the standard process. And the colors are grey and black. (...) -- Tom Stangl ***(URL) Visual FAQ home (20 years ago, 19-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Recycled Lego

(...) WHICH grey genius ? READ the thread. (...) In lugnet.general, Adrian Egli wrote: (URL) (...) (20 years ago, 19-Nov-03, to lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)