 General / 35827
Re: Brickshelf L.L.C.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 06:36:05 GMT

In lugnet.general, Kevin Loch writes:

You hit the nail right on the head.  The hosting does cost thousands of >dollars per month.  That had been subsidised entirely by my employer (who >also used the bandwidth, rack space and servers).  This new situation
(employer trying not to go out of business) presents an interesting business >challenge.

This in mind - I don't think there is a legal issue with charging for the
service of making copyrighted material _available_.  The same as the POV
license saying you can include POV on a CD so long as what you charge for
the CD covers your distribution and isn't a profit based on the software
included.

So, why can't you keep the LEGO instruction scans online, and charge for the
service of accessing them?  You aren't charging for the material itself, you
can't, but I think you can certainly charge for the service you are providing.

From discussions I've been having recently, I believe this to be perfectly
legal.  Not saying LEGO wouldn't take an issue with it, but would they have
a leg to stand on?  Obviously, working with them for a mutually agreeable
solution is best, though.

Just some thoughts.

-Tim