 General / 35818
Re: Brickshelf L.L.C.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 00:02:39 GMT

In lugnet.general, Ray Sanders writes:

A few days before the change at BrickShelf, I happened to be looking at the
server stats. IIRC, the daily usage from the prior *day* was something like 25GB
of traffic. Most hosting sites stop quoting at 100GB/month, so extrapolating
from their 100GB + $x.xx per additional MB left me with a large number,
somewhere in the vicinity of $10K/month. Now, maybe my numbers here are messed
up somewhere, but it would appear that we have been getting a tremendous free
lunch for quite a while.

Ray

You hit the nail right on the head.  The hosting does cost thousands of dollars
per month.  That had been subsidised entirely by my employer (who also used the
bandwidth, rack space and servers).  This new situation (employer trying not to
go out of business) presents an interesting business challenge.

KL