 General / 35774
Re: Brickshelf L.L.C.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 23 Feb 2002 02:08:34 GMT

In lugnet.general, Mark de Kock writes:
In lugnet.general, Kevin Loch writes:
Before anyone gets too excited about this, no money changed hands in this
transaction.  This is a necessary part of the conversion from a "hobby" site
to a commercial site.  While it would have been nice to run it as a hobby site
forever, the immense trafic has made that impossible.  While this has been in
progress for some time, it was accellerated by the fact that I lost my job
yesterday.

:( sorry to hear that.  Here's hoping you get another one real soon! :)))

Too bad. I hope you can find a (paying) job soon.

Brickshelf must now support itself, as I am unable to.  Brickshelf
will soon be selling Brickshelf branded merchandise, as well as other products
of interest to it's visitors.  It will also soon have banner ads (ugh),
although I will try to do that in a tasteful (yet effective) manner.

Banners? Uh-oh... as long as you don't do pop-ups.

Do what ever you have to, so everyone can still continue to look through
your site like in the past.  You could always come up with membership
packages, like include some of the merchandise and a fee that includes
membership.  I'd buy one of those :)  Just make sure you could accept
payments through paypal etc.

A related concequence is that the Instruction and Catalog scan library had to
be taken offline.  This was necessary because the Company had not yet received
permission from LEGO to use them on a commercial site, and to reduce bandwidth
costs.  I sincerely hope that a workable business solution can be found for
those two issues.

Bummer... it's a shame Lego can't help you out there in some sort of a
strange way, like they support/sponsor it for you or something.

I hope you can work something out as A) we need those scans and B) Phone
operators from TLC have been directing customers to your site for scans. So
in a sence, they will HAVE to give you permission.

Yes! even here in Aussiemite land they recommend the site to those who they
can't help with instructions etc...

<cut>

And if you need some kind of membership-fees like LUGnet, that's okay. I'll
gladly pay for such a great site. One that I visit at least once a day.

To be honest (unless I'm looking at someone's postings and it directs me
there), I don't really go there that often, but I'm still happy to help out
with some fee/donations.  Even to run some donation campaign thing on my
site if needed!

Mel
www.brickzine.com

Mark -going there now- de Kock