 General / 35825
Re: Brickshelf L.L.C.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 03:51:08 GMT

In lugnet.general, Frank Filz writes:
Amy Hughes wrote:
I, for one, have no patience for pop-up or interstitial ads, and if I can't
defeat them I abandon the site. Not that I want to cheat a site of potential
revenue, just that my attention is worth more than the fraction of a penny they
earned annoying me with crap. I'd rather pay for content and hosting, and I'd
pay to keep BS around, but I'd only pay if I didn't also have to see ads. And
if I pay for hosting I don't want people viewing my images to see ads.

I agree, if BrickShelf starts popping up adds, I won't be browsing
BrickShelf very often.

<blue_sky_wishful_thinking>
What would be nice, would be if TLC picked up the banner ads for the catalog
and instruction scans. After all, those items are TLC's original IP and there
would be no issue of 'appropriateness'. In fact, seeing banner ads for things
like the SC or the Blacksmith Shop would be cool while looking at older
instruction scans.

Support for the gallery would be a different matter.
</blue_sky_wishful_thinking>

snip

I hope a solution for BrickShelf can be found. I have mostly eliminated
hosting pictures on my personal web site after a couple days of hosting
someone's town pictures sucked more than 50% of my monthly bandwidth
allotment. Without BrickShelf, or with BrickShelf charging in some way
for bandwidth, I will have to examine closely my picture hosting
options.

Frank

My earthlink account has a limit on how many MBs I can have in the web space,
but I've never seen mention of a bandwith limit (although I'm sure there must be
one lurking somewhere). Most of my images are 3K-6K and are in support of my
BrickLink shop. I doubt that I will hit the bar on those images.

Ray