 General / 35766
Re: Brickshelf L.L.C.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 19:16:43 GMT

In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.general, Tim Courtney writes:
In lugnet.general, Kevin Loch writes:

It will also soon have banner ads (ugh),
although I will try to do that in a tasteful (yet effective) manner.

Eww... I'm sure you hate having to do this.  Have you considered other
options, like subscriptions to upload images to the member gallery?  From
what I understand, banners don't pay that much, if you had something like a
$5/mo subscription for each gallery member, your active membership might
drop a bit, but you might be able to pay for it without needing banners.

What is wrong with banners, per se? I've got a banner ad that I'm going to
be running in various places, are you saying that you'd have an issue with
that banner being seen on BrickShelf if Kevin and I came to terms on pricing
and impressions?

I have no problem with banner ads myself. I've even accomodated myself to
the MASSIVE ads that Yahoo has put in place. The reason that I don't mind is
because I can tune them out. Having a fast connection helps bcause the time
wasted (sorry, advertisers and advertiser-sellers) is usually pretty
insignificant. So I hope that they work out for everybody.

Subscriptions to view Brickshelf would put a damper on things, no doubt.
Hosting fees make sense to me. Flat rates are the easiest to implement.
$20/lifetime would be a no-brainer. What would I consider a good deal?
$20/year seems not inappropriate. $35/year feels like it might be too much
(for me). $5/month is right out.

File-size limits and throughput quotas make sense fairness-wise, but would
have potential administrative headaches built in. By introducing a pay
structure, I'm not sure how Brickshelf can distinguish itself from being a
web-hosting service. Maybe that's an evolution: Brickshelf-style web-hosting
for Lego-related content.

Has outside linking been a problem? Geocities has an effective method (which
I have never really researched, but I'm pretty sure is merely router-based
rule-sets) of keeping outside pages from linking to Geocities-hosted
resources. This forces the creation of Geocities pages that then carry the
Geocities banners. (It's hard to complain about the Geocities banner: it
gives you the ability to minimize it. A well-behaved banner!)

Thanks to for all the great work so far. (As a fellow member of the
unemployed hordes, I share your pain. As a fellow tech worker (I assume),
it's a little scary for me that you, Kevin Loch, clearly energetic, creative
and smart, can be laid off. What hope is there for poor me?)

Good luck!