 General / 35817
Re: Brickshelf L.L.C.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 23:50:59 GMT

In lugnet.general, Bram Lambrecht writes:
Tim Courtney writes:
Eww... I'm sure you hate having to do this.  Have you
considered other options, like subscriptions to upload images
to the member gallery?  From what I understand, banners don't
pay that much, if you had something like a $5/mo subscription
for each gallery member, your active membership might drop a
bit, but you might be able to pay for it without needing banners.

IMO, the main great thing about Brickshelf is that it is free.  It
allows just about anyone to share their LEGO pictures.  But, if
membership fees are necessary to support the site, then perhaps you
could use membership to turn off banner ads, or for those people who
need over a set limit of disk space...although that hurts the people who
post movies.
$5/month is very high though...I pay $30/yr for a full web host with 50
MB, 3 GB transfer, PHP, MYSQL, subdomains, etc.
--Bram

A few days before the change at BrickShelf, I happened to be looking at the
server stats. IIRC, the daily usage from the prior *day* was something like 25GB
of traffic. Most hosting sites stop quoting at 100GB/month, so extrapolating
from their 100GB + $x.xx per additional MB left me with a large number,
somewhere in the vicinity of $10K/month. Now, maybe my numbers here are messed
up somewhere, but it would appear that we have been getting a tremendous free
lunch for quite a while.

Ray