 General / 35744
Re: Brickshelf L.L.C.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 06:28:03 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Before anyone gets too excited about this, no money changed hands in this
transaction.  This is a necessary part of the conversion from a "hobby" site
to a commercial site.  While it would have been nice to run it as a hobby site
forever, the immense trafic has made that impossible.  While this has been in
progress for some time, it was accellerated by the fact that I lost my job
yesterday.  Brickshelf must now support itself, as I am unable to.  Brickshelf
will soon be selling Brickshelf branded merchandise, as well as other products
of interest to it's visitors.  It will also soon have banner ads (ugh),
although I will try to do that in a tasteful (yet effective) manner.

A related concequence is that the Instruction and Catalog scan library had to
be taken offline.  This was necessary because the Company had not yet received
permission from LEGO to use them on a commercial site, and to reduce bandwidth
costs.  I sincerely hope that a workable business solution can be found for
those two issues.

Kevin M Loch
Manager,
Brickshelf L.L.C.

In lugnet.announce.brickshelf, Kevin Loch writes:
Brickshelf L.L.C.
Telephone: (703) 961-1408
http://www.brickshelf.com/

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE February 22, 2002

Brickshelf L.L.C., a Virginia Limited Liability Company
has aquired the Brickshelf.com website from it's founder,
Kevin M. Loch. Brickshelf.com is a popular online community
where young and old LEGO(R) enthusiasts share their
creations and experiences.  Mr. Loch will continue to
run the website as Manager of Brickshelf L.L.C.

Brickshelf(tm) is a trademark of Brickshelf L.L.C.
LEGO(R) is a registered trademark of the LEGO Company which
does not sponsor, authorize or endorse Brickshelf.com.

                  ######

Re: Brickshelf L.L.C.
While this has been in progress for some time, it was
accellerated by the fact that I lost my job yesterday.

I'm sorry to hear that.  Good luck finding a new one.

Brickshelf must now support itself, as I am unable to.  Brickshelf
will soon be selling Brickshelf branded merchandise, as well as other products
of interest to it's visitors.  It will also soon have banner ads (ugh),
although I will try to do that in a tasteful (yet effective) manner.

Tasteful, IMO, is as small as possible (1x1 pixel!), but I know that isn't an
option.  I'm sure you'll figure something out...just don't use pop-ups.

Kevin M Loch
Manager,
Brickshelf L.L.C.

So, um, how many people are "employed" by Brickshelf L.L.C.?  Two? :)
--Bram

Bram Lambrecht
bram@cwru.edu
www.bldesign.org

Re: Brickshelf L.L.C.
...This is a necessary part of the conversion from a "hobby" site
to a commercial site.  While it would have been nice to run it as a hobby site
forever, the immense trafic has made that impossible.  While this has been in
progress for some time, it was accellerated by the fact that I lost my job
yesterday.

I'm terribly sorry to hear that.  I have been facing a similar plight for
about a month now.  Best wishes for future success and thanks for all your
work on the site.

Regards

Mike

Re: Brickshelf L.L.C.
Before anyone gets too excited about this, no money changed hands in this
transaction.  This is a necessary part of the conversion from a "hobby" site
to a commercial site.  While it would have been nice to run it as a hobby site
forever, the immense trafic has made that impossible.  While this has been in
progress for some time, it was accellerated by the fact that I lost my job
yesterday.

Wow...sorry to hear that Kevin. :(

Brickshelf must now support itself, as I am unable to.  Brickshelf
will soon be selling Brickshelf branded merchandise, as well as other products
of interest to it's visitors.

Sounds cool!!

It will also soon have banner ads (ugh),
although I will try to do that in a tasteful (yet effective) manner.

Eww... I'm sure you hate having to do this.  Have you considered other
options, like subscriptions to upload images to the member gallery?  From
what I understand, banners don't pay that much, if you had something like a
$5/mo subscription for each gallery member, your active membership might
drop a bit, but you might be able to pay for it without needing banners.

A related concequence is that the Instruction and Catalog scan library had to
be taken offline.  This was necessary because the Company had not yet received
permission from LEGO to use them on a commercial site, and to reduce bandwidth
costs.

Have you considered splitting the site into free features and paid features,
and leaving the instruction catalog in the free features area?  That way you
aren't selling access to the scans, which I think LEGO would require to
begin with.  Charge for other, more advanced features, and features like
uploading to the gallery.

Or... ask for donations :-)

I sincerely hope that a workable business solution can be found for
those two issues.

Same here.  Thanks Kevin for your dedicated work on keeping Brickshelf the
best resource for sharing images of LEGO creations and checking out
instructions on the net.  Keep it up!!

-Tim

RE: Brickshelf L.L.C.