 Events / LEGO World / 30
29  |  31
Subject:
Brad's talk
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.legoworld
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 12:26:31 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Here is a rough transcription from Brad's talk at LegoWorld 2003 on Saturday
evening. Sorry it took me a couple of days to get net access (we're dialed in
from the ldraw.org booth on the show floor at last... long story, the fast
connection did not materialise)...

An editorial comment: Some of the questions were the same ones asked 2 weeks ago
at NWBrickCon (and in some cases, 2 months ago at BrickFest 2003), and they got
the same answers they did before. That's just an artifact of the fact that it's
impossible for everyone to keep up with everything in our hobby these days.

A procedural comment: The content will be on the deBouwsteen website as soon as
is practical, perhaps translated into Dutch, please be patient.

As always, any errors or misrepresentations of what was said are unintentional,
and I accept responsibility for them, with my apologies. Please ask for
clarification and someone will clarify.

Brad’s talk at LEGOWORLD

Paul Woelters introduced Brad Justus.

Brad’s introductory remarks:

Thanks for everything, its (the show) even better than last year. Good stuff
going on. Thanks especially for all the work that is done to make LW happen. It
is after all the biggest event of its type in the world.

LEGO is not about what we put into the box, it’s about what you get OUT of the
box, you’re a real inspiration to parents and kids that it doesn’t have to be
done by master builders, anyone can build terrific stuff out of LEGO if you want
to. Thanks very much for making that happen.

The company does recognize this. I went back with a bunch of pictures to the
global management team to show them.. look at what the fans can do with what we
make, our consumers creativity matters more than anything else. Not selling
Hogwarts as a set but as a means to creating more. We have now formaliszed a
group to work with community clubs and groups, Jake McKee and Kate Such are both
on that team, the community development organizations (Tormud Laskuson is
running that group (sp?)… we are focusing on NA and EU but we want to get to
other parts of the world as well.

We want to fix any problems you have had with communicating with LEGO. If you
need to talk and you’re looking for help or advice or whatever, talk to Jake or
Kate and we will get you in contact with the right people and make things
happen.

The best thing we can do is not to do everything by ourself but to go out to the
community, and enable the community… the beauty of lego is revealed in what YOU
do with the brand and we are out to do as much as we can to encourage people to
have their own events and show off their creativity. It’s a better expression of
what the brand is about than what we can do and it’s a huge thing for the kids.

We just did 20 cities in the US, at every stop there are 5 tents, one of which
is the community or enthusiasts groups, 4 tents are from the company. The
community tent has been the most popular poart of the event. Kids are
intimidated by miniland or master buiulder creations, “a professional did that”…
but the  builders of the community are what they will grow up to be. The kid
saying “dad, I can make that” is what LEGO is all about. The message of the
brand is to inspire kids get out there and build.

Manfred Moolhuysen: Are we getting a LEGO btrand store in the NL.
A: focused on getting all the shops that are opening up and urnnig. Tey are
primariuly in the US. Thereare  going to be more EU shjps., U doi[t know exactly
where they are going to be. I don’t decide, it’s a matter of the real estate
costs.

Nik Pieniazek: Are you from Canada?