 Castle / 2993
Re: Warrior Rabbits and Queen Cleo's vehicle (was Re: 5824 - the inside story)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 00:14:25 GMT

In lugnet.belville, Jeff Johnston writes:
By the way, the conveyance that Queen Cleo uses to get around is called a
palanquin.

From www.m-w.com:

Main Entry: pa·lan·quin
Pronunciation: "pa-l&n-'kEn, -'kwin, -'kin, 'pa-l&n-"; p&-'la[ng]-kw&n
Function: noun
Etymology: Portuguese palanquim, from Malay or Javanese pelangki, of
Indo-Aryan
origin; akin to Bengali pAlanka bed
Date: 1588
: a conveyance formerly used especially in eastern Asia usually for one person
that consists of an enclosed litter borne on the shoulders of men by means
of poles

Wow!  I expanded my vocabulary today.  I built one of these things two days ago
and didn't know what it was called.  Today, I'm reading old messages from a
month ago that I missed, and I find this posting.  What an odd coincidence.
LUGNET isn't just entertaining, it's also educational!

Here's some photos of my palanquin:

http://home.earthlink.net/~mesteele/castle/Emporer/palanquin.html

Mike Steele