 Castle / 2992
Re: [CW] Mutual stories question and offer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 00:04:57 GMT

In lugnet.castle, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.castle, Jason Catena writes:
I think rules like these needs to be refined GREATLY. In general, I see it
as a place for the users to get as complicated as they want. If all they want
is to put their castle creation up on a website, no problem! We'll support
that. If all they want is to put it on the map somehwere, that's ok too. If
you want to submit a story involving creations in CW, you're more than
welcome to! But with every step further that the user wants to take it, the
more rules get enforced, because the more things interact with each other,
the more potential problems arise.

This is an interesting compromise. If something is completely original and new,
it has less impact on the existing site, and needs less rules to make it fit
in. I like this approach a lot, because it helps the cooperation and courtesy
goals, without compromising creativity.

Here's a thought I've been playing around with for the last few minutes... To
avoid potential problems, how about we have different levels of maps? If a
user wants their own 'area', they get it, along with their own scale, map,
etc. (of course they have to SUPPLY it too-- remember, it's all based on how
much work the user wants to put in) Then there's a set of 'common' maps, where
interactive things go-- where users can interact with each other... The more I
think about it, the more I like it. For that matter, each user has a list of
maps that they've defined or supplied (the admins could make 'default' maps if
the user doesn't want to supply one, or there could be 1 'utlimately' common
map), wherein they can allow or not allow other members to participate. Each
map has its own scale, landscape, etc... It completely avoids interfering with
other members, if the member wants it, and allows the member as much freedom
as they'd like.

Dave, I like this idea a lot. This is the kind of thing I was hoping for. I'd
just add that maybe if someone's map gets to a mature, interactive-supporting
level, it could be moved from the list of their own personal maps to the common
map, so it can be related to everyone else's creations.

Anyway, that's the way I think I see it. I don't want member conflicts. I
think that may be one of the easiest ways to avoid them....

Definitely. Again, this was the direction I was hoping we'd move in, and it
matches what I was originally thinking Castle World would be.