 Castle / 3003
Re: More CW issues (Was: Re: [CW] Mutual stories question and offer)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 01:28:51 GMT

David Eaton wrote:
In lugnet.castle, Jason Catena writes:
Again, since map space is unlimited, I don't see why people can't be given
realms that they have a plan for. If you have a map, and you intend to fill it
eventually, and you need 100 fixed size realms to model the map, then why not?

Well, the issue here is mainly that if someone creates a continent-spanning
idea, the admins need to create/import a new section of the map, and set it
aside for that member. I personally don't want to go adding new sections of the
map each time someone comes up with a huge project plan, especially if that
person later on abandons that plan.

<way-back-machine topic="Dave's MUD-adminning days">

I'll don my 'retired wizard' hat, then (staffed a MUSH for several years, including
some of that as a Building Admin).

When I was an admin for a MUD, we had a bunch of people who had great, grande
schemes, with intricate plots, etc., who ended up biting off more than they
could chew. We had a whole bunch of areas of the MUD that were only the very
beginnings of ambitious projects. We did, however, have *1* programmer (out of
about 30) who had a solid, well-developed plan, that came to fruition. I don't
want a repeat of this kind of statistic.
</way-back-machine>

I know exactly how you feel about this.  I've been on both types of those
projects...

Some possible solutions:
- people with large, unfinished areas reserved, aren't part of the "real" map
  of CW. Their information is listed on the site, all their buildings, etc. are
  stored in the DB, but their section of the map is unconnected to the "real"
  map until it's "full enough" to join with the existing map.

I like this.  A lot.  That way we don't have the map cluttered up with lots of
empty space.  We did something similar on the MUSH I wizzed at.

- people can reserve as much space as they want to, AND have the option to
  submit NEW realms and map areas for consideration. This has two
  possibilities:
     1. person creates a new map, submits it in as a 'hopeful', and the admins
        simply 'ok' it or deny it, with suitable reasons (placement, size,
        etc., whatever viable denial reasons are)
     2. members can simply create new realms and map areas at their slightest
        whimsey, with no approval from anyone.

Here's another idea, related to (2).

Let people create their own realms and map ideas, but don't have an overall
world map. (!)  If two or three or a dozen people want to share a continent,
great.  If one person needs something the size of Asia for his Grand Empire,
also great.

People traveling from one continent to another do it either through use of
the Revolving Door Portals, an ocean journey, or some similar means.

Do we really need to know where these sections of the world are in relation
to each other to write the stories?

Anyway, that's the main consequence of not being stingy with map space-- a huge
unused map, which I'd really rather not have.

Hence the 'no world map' idea...if someone goes inactive or does nothing with
their area...oh well.  It affects other people not in the slightest, it just
makes that person look bad.

sakura@mediaone.net     is     Jeff Johnston       http://www.io.com/~jeffj
My LEGO Web page has moved!  Go to: http://people.ne.mediaone.net/sakura
Check out my Trade List and Want List - * - Last Updated 12/19/1999
LEGO Geek Code:  SP+ CA +++ (375/6075) PI +++ #++ S--/++ LS++ Hal  M+ A++  YB73m