 Castle / 2124
Re: Another update (was: Lion's Cove Update)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 14:02:06 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Jeff Stembel writes:

In lugnet.castle, Bill Farkas writes:

By the way, in reference to your reply to my last message, yes, my Hebrew is
a little rusty, but also I wasn't sure if you male or female so I figured it
would be better to use the masculine form.

Sure, no prob - people get mixed up all the time. Maybe I should call myself
Sherry or Cherry or something ;-)

Really?  Out of curiosity, I checked the NameDB(1), and this is what it lists:

Name      Origin     Sex        Meaning    Variations
Shiri     Hebrew     Female     My song    Shira, Shirah, Shirit

I never even considered it could be a male name.  Can it be?  It doesn't list
that there...

Jeff

The "i" on the end makes it possessive - as in "ani" which is I, or "sheli"
which is mine. Many names end in "i" and are masculine, such as Eli (which is
pronounced like Ellie in English)- Eli means "my God" and is a masculine name.
I didn't recognize the root word of her name, but I did know that it was
possessive. Like I said, my Hebrew is a bit rusty, I haven't been in Israel
since the war, and it's usually safer to use the masculine if you're not sure.

Yala Bye,
Bill