 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2972
Re: L3P Warnings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 2010 22:53:43 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Dave Schuler wrote:
In lugnet.cad.ray, Timothy Gould wrote:

The newer LDView releases also make POVray export very easy and you can add
parts you've made yourself simply by editing a file. I have a number of custom
POV parts that I include this way.

But does such an export include the POV-enhanced parts in proper matrix
alignment, or does the user have to figure out how to orient the part to match
the output file?  If the latter, then it's equivalent to not supporting the
POV-Ray elements at all.

I don't know. All I know is that I export a POV file and it works well. That's
pretty much how I like my software to work.

A matching file is a much more efficient way of utilising both libraries. If
someone improves a POVray object they can simply edit one line to include their
updated version rather than having to edit the original .DAT file.

But doesn't that require X-number of different users each to generate their own
files?  Or a least to incorporate those files manually?  How is that more
efficient except insofar as it spares the front-end designer a little work?

They could upload the files they've made. In fact, I have done so before.

It's like saying "you 500 customers can each remove the pepperoni from your
pizzas" rather than giving them the option of not getting pepperoni in the first
place.

It's more like offering people the choice of pizza or pie rather than pizza-pie.
You can choose POVray or LDraw. You don't need some hybrid.

I don't presume to speak for Tore, but I can't help noticing that the two
advocates in favor of maintaing direct POV-Ray compatibility are the same two
people who recently took issue with the hugely elaborate file-headings in
official LDraw parts.  In both cases the underlying objection was that protocols
like these have the net effect of discouraging individual experimentation with
the format.

How so? You can experiment with the format all you like. It just won't make it
to an official release. But if you upload it and it works well I'll certainly
download your work. Just as I did with LGEO.

Clearly there are fundamental differences of opinion at play here.  I accept
that the LSC has attained the power to make official decisions re: the
development of LDraw, but it's a mistake to dismiss or minimize dissenting
views.

How is disagreement dismission?

I would have to say that although this may be a solution that works, it's not
the best solution, nor do I understand why it must be the only *accepted*
solution.

I have POVray altered parts in my personal LDraw library. They serve me quite
well. I just don't feel the need to force them on people who will never use
POVray.

Tim