 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2963
Re: L3P Warnings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 2010 05:53:46 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Tore Eriksson wrote:

  • It looks like quality overkill to me. I’m not after photorealistic images, but

This hits on the main issue, as far as I’m concerned. There are certain elements that simply can’t be rendered well within the constraints of the official, accepted LDraw code language.

My interest, of course, is in clone elements. I grant that a lot of users don’t care for non-LEGO parts, but they illustrate the problem very clearly.
These two Mega Bloks windscreen elements can’t be rendered smoothly by using pure LDraw code:

and

while these two Tyco domes don’t render well in canonical LDraw language, either:

and

Obviously these will never be part of an official update, but they represent shapes and surfaces that POV-Ray can handle quite easily, while LDraw cannot. For this reason, I think that they are emblematic of the shortcomings of the coding, so I agree with Tore that support of inlined POV-Ray code should continue, even if such inlined code keeps a part from inclusion in the library.

Dave!
The Bloks Forum