 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2967
Re: L3P Warnings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 2010 16:06:10 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Tore Eriksson wrote:
<snip>
And, once again: Inline POV code is already there and ready to enjoy. No known
bugs, no complicated setup or extra parameters. And I'm not after allowing
Inline POV code in official part dats, like I said I accepted the ban, but I
sure hope the support for it will continue. It looks as though some people are
interested i my POV replacement dats after all, judging from the number of times
hey have been viewed http://news.lugnet.com/cad/ray/?n=2930

I understand, you have a working system and bad experiences with any
alternatives. In that case I think Don is right, just ignore the warnings and
keep doing what you like. I doubt Lars will stop supporting his own LDraw meta
extensions altogether.

So perhaps you are hinting on maintainability or mixed single files (because
even subfiles would work ok using a mirror tree, aslong they use the same scale
and orientation (or are supplied with a transformation key).

Sorry, you lost me completely there. I don't even know what a mirror tree is.

The thing I ment with a mirror tree is something like:

<some location>\LDraw\parts\3001.dat

<some (other) location>\myLDPovLib\parts\3001.pov

With a setup like this any conversion tool could use 3001.pov instead of
3001.dat when generating a combined povray script while the LDraw files keep
'clean'. There is still the need for some global povray include to setup the
used materials etc, but that could be a singe global file or generated on the
fly by the conversion tools.

<snip>

Nowadays, I'm not very much of a part author, either. I started this thread
solely as an L3P user getting worrying warning messages.

Warning messages can be very irritating, maybe you can persuade Lars in adding a
parameter to ignore certain warnings.

roland