 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 707
Re: Announcing Bricksmith for Macintosh
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Sun, 28 Aug 2005 03:19:20 GMT

   Incidentally, though, I don’t find POV-Ray renderings to be the best for instructions, as they’re too realistic. For instructions, I want something more diagrammatic, with clear lines delineating the blocks. Does anyone have any recommendations for such a renderer? (And Allen, would you consider building it right into BrickSmith?)

Oh Joe, what a can of worms that is. You’re absolutely right that POV-Ray is useless for instructions. It’s very nice for the picture on the front of the box, but it doesn’t outline edges. The good news is that there is a solution. The following method was explained to me by Steve Barile, and produces lovely output:

First, you need MacMegaPOV 0.7. It’s a variant of POV-Ray with an easy-to-understand GUI. But when I did instructions last, Mac MegaPOV was up to version 1.0, but which did not include the edge-tracing feature. There is a newer version now; I don’t know if edge-tracing has been restored. If not, I have a copy of 0.7 I can e-mail. I do not think the old version is otherwise available on the internet.

Once you have MacMegaPOV 0.7, things are real easy. Just add the following line to the top of you your POV-Ray file from L3P:

#version unofficial MegaPov 0.7;

Then paste in this block at the bottom:

global_settings {
  post_process {
        find_edges {
          2,    //depth difference required for line
          0.35, //angle difference required for line
          0.2,  //color difference required for line
          1.1,  // 2.0 default line width
          20,  // 1.4 default line sharpness
          rgb 0 //color of line
        }
  }
}

Tweak the values as needed.

For high-quality instructions, render the scene at some absurdly large resolution. I used 2048 x 1536 or so for a 16x16 baseplate. The more RAM, the merrier. I think I needed about 512 MB (physical + virtual) when I did it. The good news is that you can decrease the rendering quality to Level 1 or so, because all you really need is plain color. MegaPOV’s post-processor will then find the edges, and you’ll have instructions to die for. They look nearly as good as Lego’s.

Once you have the software (e-mail me!), this is a very easy process, and the results are extremely rewarding.

Sincerely,
Allen Smith