 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 667
Re: Announcing Bricksmith for Macintosh
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 07:22:52 GMT

   Yeah, you aren’t suppose to distribute the library with your app.

Well that just sucks. They don’t want too many people using LDraw, I guess? Because many users simply won’t jump through that many hoops to get started. They’ll download a CAD program, double-click it, see scary messages about LDraw not being found, and (in many cases) give up at that point and go do something more fun. This is especially true on the Mac, where many users just want to use the dang thing rather than spend all day fiddling with it. ;)

So I hope Allen can convince them to let him continue distributing his app both with and without LDraw contained. I don’t see how this hurts anyone, and it makes it accessible to people who just wouldn’t succeed with it otherwise.

   The cool shniz would be to have the app auto find the library or download it
   for you if it can’t find it though!

Well yes, that would be cool, though not as cool as having it just unpack and be ready to run. And it’s a lot more work for the developer.

Yes, but it is the best way. When the library isn’t found, just display a window asking “1). browser for library” “2). search for library” “3). download library and install (New uses select this)”

That should keep the low-attention-span Mac OS X users a few more seconds. (LOL, I’m one of them too) Anyway, the url at ldraw.org is always the same, and it isn’t actually that hard to download it. I have some Cocoa code somewhere that does url downloads and it is only 1 or 2 lines. Unpacking is probably only a few lines (unless it is an NSTask, but still it isn’t that hard).

There are a few reasons for not distributing the LDraw library.

1). Legal reasons. I don’t remember what they are, I just know that James Jessiman’s family owns the rights to the core of the library and they have made their decision. Since the formalization of the LDraw Steering Committee, the licensing might have changed. I’m not sure.

2). Updates. People were distributing the library with their app and it quickly got out of date. Really out of date. And it was hard to get them to update their downloads. And it was a mess. For me. ;) In fact, I don’t think anyone really updated their downloads. Oh well.