 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 655
Re: Announcing Bricksmith for Macintosh
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Wed, 24 Aug 2005 15:23:31 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Allen Smith wrote:
   I thought I would save my first post to Lugnet for something good.

It is time to announce the completion of Bricksmith 1.0, my new LDraw editor for Mac OS X. Bricksmith provides a number of features which have hitherto been lacking on the Macintosh, including:
  • A fast, comprehensive part browser
  • One-click access to the full Lego color palette
  • Fully-functional MPD capabilities
  • Steps, step display, and step exporting
  • Undo, Copy, and Paste
  • Drag-and-drop reorganization of model contents
  • Primitives
This project has taken me about six months to complete, so I hope that you find it to truly be LDraw for the Rest of Us. That’s not to say it’s perfect. My goal in creating this program was to create a superb tool for instruction-creation, and a usable 3D model viewer. In fact, I finished over three-quarters of the source code before I actually drew a single pixel of LDraw. Consequently, Bricksmith’s instruction-making tools are superb, but the model viewer is not yet as pretty as Mac Brick CAD’s.

Bricksmith requires Mac OS X 10.3 or later, and may be download it at http://bricksmith.sourceforge.net/.

So have fun, all you Mac-loving Legophiles!

Sincerely,
Allen Smith
Camas, Washington

Only 6 months! You certainly have worked really hard!

Congratulations :)

I don’t own a MAC but it’s always good news when LDraw is lesser and lesser confined to the Microsoft world. Anyway i have seen the pretty screenshot, downloaded the archive and extracted the “Krystonian Freight Sled”, then loaded it in MLCad. To make MLCad happy i had to suffix all subparts with “.dat” But even then MLCad is still not happy because Bricksmith can include subparts within subparts when MLCad can not. As it is, “Krystonian Freight Sled” is not a valid MPD file, subparts within a subpart are not allowed in a standard MPD file. I guess it’s a testimony of how Bricksmith is flexible, but providing a standard-compliant example is always a good idea.

Will i dare a critic? Yes i will: too many trailing zeros.

Otherwise, the only thing i can say is: remarkable work, very encouraging, the future of the LDraw library is brighter than ever.

  1. damien
lego web page: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/alphablock/