 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 669
Re: Announcing Bricksmith for Macintosh
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 14:59:18 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, James Reynolds wrote:

   There are a few reasons for not distributing the LDraw library.

1). Legal reasons. I don’t remember what they are, I just know that James Jessiman’s family owns the rights to the core of the library and they have made their decision. Since the formalization of the LDraw Steering Committee, the licensing might have changed. I’m not sure.

Well, I suppose that as long as we’re stuck with lawyers in our society, we have to face realities like this. We don’t have to like it, though.

   2). Updates. People were distributing the library with their app and it quickly got out of date. Really out of date. And it was hard to get them to update their downloads. And it was a mess. For me. ;) In fact, I don’t think anyone really updated their downloads. Oh well.

Making LDRAW-using apps harder to use doesn’t really help this, though. People who stick with it long enough to get LDRAW installed someplace are (in general) going to be no more likely to update it thereafter than people who got it conveniently included with the app. It’s not like it’s hidden in Bricksmith -- it’s right there next to the app in a folder called “LDraw”. I’ll see it every time I go to launch Bricksmith. In fact, I’d argue that I’m more likely to update it this way, than if I’ve installed the dang thing in some library folder as some previous app (Mac Brick CAD?) required.

Ideally, as far as point 2 goes anyway, a CAD program would come with a copy of LDraw so you can just launch it and run (even if, for example, you happen to be setting on an airplane when you get around to unpacking and trying it), but it would also check for LDraw updates, and automatically download and install them, whenever the network is available.

Best,
Joe