 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 664
Re: Announcing Bricksmith for Macintosh
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 01:16:37 GMT

Allen Smith wrote:
I thought I would save my first post to Lugnet for something good.¬
¬
<<http://bricksmith.sourceforge.net/images/icon32.jpg>>¬
¬
It is time to announce the completion of <http://bricksmith.sourceforge.net/
Bricksmith 1.0>, my new LDraw editor for Mac OS X. Bricksmith provides a number
of features which have hitherto been lacking on the Macintosh, including:¬

* A fast, comprehensive part browser
* One-click access to the full Lego color palette
* Fully-functional MPD capabilities
* Steps, step display, and step exporting
* Undo, Copy, and Paste
* Drag-and-drop reorganization of model contents
* Primitives

This project has taken me about six months to complete, so I hope that you find
it to truly be LDraw for the Rest of Us. That's not to say it's perfect. My goal
in creating this program was to create a superb tool for instruction-creation,
and a usable 3D model viewer. In fact, I finished over three-quarters of the
source code before I actually drew a single pixel of LDraw. Consequently,
Bricksmith's instruction-making tools are superb, but the model viewer is not
yet as pretty as Mac Brick CAD's.¬ ¬ Bricksmith requires Mac OS X 10.3 or later,
and may be download it at <http://bricksmith.sourceforge.net/>.¬ ¬ So have fun,
all you Mac-loving Legophiles!¬ ¬ Sincerely,¬ Allen Smith¬ Camas, Washington

Wow, my first impressions are that it is very cool. I poked it with a
stick and here are some observations that I made...

*I'd love to have preset views like other LCad programs (press 1, 2,
3... etc for different views of model)
*automatically add ".dat" to the text field in the inspector window when
a part number is entered. I'm lazy and I don't really want to have to
type ".dat" every time I enter a part number.
*lower detail during rotation to speed up rotation on older computers.
Rotating a complete (moderate to large) model isn't all that smooth on a
Dual 2.5 G5 either.
*is it just me or does the glass looks trans red?
*drawing speed when moving parts is too slow
   drawing speed for the model seems good
     slightly slower than Mac Brick Cad 2.4
     much faster than LDGLite for Mac.
   However, LDGLite is a faster editor than ether MBC or Bricksmith. I
don't know how Don (LDGLite's) author does it, but when LDGLite moves a
brick, it draws the model without the brick, and then just draws the
brick without redrawing the model each subsequent movement of the brick.
Here is an example.

In Bricksmith (and in MBC)
Select a brick on a model and move it (hit the arrow key once). The move
is done in 2 seconds (pretty good for a good sized model). Hit the arrow
key 3 more times, and the move is done in 6 more seconds (pretty slow).
So, it took 8 seconds to move the brick 4 spaces, and every space takes
two more seconds.
In LDGLite
Select a brick on a model and move it (hit the arrow key once). The move
is done in 7 seconds (pretty darn slow). Hit the arrow key 3 more times,
and the move is done instantaneously. So, after the initial 7 second hit
to redraw the model, virtually no time is required for any of the
subsequent moves. I can further speed up LDGLite by lowering the detail
if I wish. For example, if I turn on draw studs as line, then the
initial hist is only 2 to 3 seconds. Bricksmith and MBC are way better
than LDGLite in many ways, but when it comes to moving bricks around
LDGLite is still the champ.

Anyway... I love this new entry into the Mac LDRAWing space, and I will
add it to the lineup of tools that I use to draw my stuff :)

Thanks,
Chris