 CAD / Development / 9021
Re: Mirrored parts and studs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 2 Jul 2003 03:17:24 GMT

Just for kicks and grins.(not!) I'll throw in my $1.25

In lugnet.cad.dev, Orion Pobursky wrote:
There is somewhat of a disagreeance going on over at the PT about mirrored parts
and I thought I'd bring it to the whole community to discuss.

This may have resurfaced because of the studs with logo files on my webpage. It
was a quick thought I came up with a couple years ago.
I guess I should remove them and any references to them. They have seemed to
cause more trouble than they are worth.

How many people actually review parts down to the orientation of the studs? Very
few in my opinion. If a part is new and has several errors, I will make mention
that the stud should be oriented like "1 16 ........dat" However, I rarely check
stud orientation.

Here's a little background for the non initiated:

In order to same time and DAT code if a part has a mirrored brother then one
part reference the other and applies a mirrored matrix.  For example, the
Technic Panel #1 just references Technic Panel #2 and applies the matrix

-1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1

This is the preferred way to represent a mirrored part pair.  There is no
disagreement about this methed of coding parts.  The problem comes in when
you add studs.

If you have stud the the part and apply a mirror matrix, most of the time
nothing is wrong. Along comes L3P or LDView that, based on user preference,
add the LEGO logo to the top of the studs.  If the part is a mirror part
then the added logos also show up mirrored. Here's where we get 2 dissenting
opinons:

1.)  Nothing is wrong with the part.  The stud logos are added by an external
program and are not part of the DAT code.  This is, therefore, a limitation
of the external program and not of the part itself.

I'm not inclined to think this way. Programs have to make up for too many
exceptions as it is. (Don't they?)

2.)  The part itself is flawed in that the studs are mirrored.  We should
redo all the mirrored parts with stud in such a way that the studs are not
mirrored.

My opinion would be #2. Time consuming for someone to do, Has anyone checked to
see how many parts are affected? This should help make a decision.

My question to the reader of this post is:

What do you prefer?

I'm axious to get a resolution on this since many otherwise good part are
being held up because of this issue.

-Orion
If checking parts also needs to include checking stud orientation, Reviews will
have a longer review time and orientation errors will be treated as a nuisance
and not get fixed.
Like I said above, I do not "hold" parts for this and rarely even check for it.

Paul