 CAD / Development / 9012
9011  |  9013
Subject:
Mirrored parts and studs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2003 14:57:01 GMT

There is somewhat of a disagreeance going on over at the PT about mirrored parts
and I thought I'd bring it to the whole community to discuss.

Here's a little background for the non initiated:

In order to same time and DAT code if a part has a mirrored brother then one
part reference the other and applies a mirrored matrix.  For example, the
Technic Panel #1 just references Technic Panel #2 and applies the matrix

-1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1

This is the preferred way to represent a mirrored part pair.  There is no
disagreement about this methed of coding parts.  The problem comes in when you
add studs.

If you have stud the the part and apply a mirror matrix, most of the time
nothing is wrong. Along comes L3P or LDView that, based on user preference, add
the LEGO logo to the top of the studs.  If the part is a mirror part then the
added logos also show up mirrored. Here's where we get 2 dissenting opinons:

1.)  Nothing is wrong with the part.  The stud logos are added by an external
program and are not part of the DAT code.  This is, therefore, a limitation of
the external program and not of the part itself.

2.)  The part itself is flawed in that the studs are mirrored.  We should redo
all the mirrored parts with stud in such a way that the studs are not mirrored.

My question to the reader of this post is:

What do you prefer?

I'm axious to get a resolution on this since many otherwise good part are being
held up because of this issue.

-Orion