 CAD / Development / 9019
9018  |  9020
Special:
[DAT] (requires LDraw-compatible viewer)
Re: Mirrored parts and studs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2003 21:35:31 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Orion Pobursky wrote:
There is somewhat of a disagreeance going on over at the PT about mirrored parts
and I thought I'd bring it to the whole community to discuss.

**snip**

Here's where we get 2 dissenting opinons:

1.)  Nothing is wrong with the part.  The stud logos are added by an external
program and are not part of the DAT code.  This is, therefore, a limitation of
the external program and not of the part itself.

2.)  The part itself is flawed in that the studs are mirrored.  We should redo
all the mirrored parts with stud in such a way that the studs are not mirrored.

My question to the reader of this post is:

What do you prefer?

  Ah, the perennial question.  During a past discussion of this very topic I
offered what I thought to be a semi-workable option similar to #2 above, which I
reiterate in the interest of further stirring the pot:
  We could redo the mirrored parts so that the basic file without studs is
treated as a sub-part, and this in turn is used as the foundation for both the
"primary" part and the "mirrored" part.  As an example, consider the 4x8 wing:
  The "base" part would be the wing itself without any of the stud.dat
primitives included (let's call it wing.dat just to be generic).  The
"right-hand" version of the wing would be written this way:

0 Wing,  4 x  8, right
0 Part Name:  Wing-R
  1 16 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 s\wing.dat
  1 16 -10 16 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 stud.dat
  1 16 -10 16 -20 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 stud.dat
  1 16 -10 16 -40 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 stud.dat
0

and so on, until all the studs are added.  The "left-hand" version of the wing
would then be written:

0 Wing,  4 x  8, left
0 Part Name:  Wing-L
  1 16 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 s\wing.dat
  1 16 10 16 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 stud.dat
  1 16 10 16 -20 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 stud.dat
  1 16 10 16 -40 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 stud.dat
0

and so on, until all the studs are added.  This way, the base "s\wing.dat"
subpart will be mirrored right-to-left, but the stud.dat primitives will not be,
and the part will render just fine in L3P even at q=3.  I am 100% certain that
this works, because I've written a number of mirrored clone parts this way.
  When I offered this suggestion previously, Steve Bliss (that stinker) pointed
out that this potentially generates a bunch of new subparts (which may in itself
be undesirable) as well as creating somewhat more work for parts authors.  YMMV,
but his concerns are worth considering.  In any case, it's still quicker than
generating a whole new left-hand wing element from scratch.

     Dave!