 CAD / 9325
Re: LPub support for external POV post processors (was Sand Green)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.inst, lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 03:02:48 GMT

"Kevin Clague" <kevin_clague@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Mike,

  Thanks for the input on TCL.  My bias towards perl is primarily because • I
know perl ;-)  I've learned a *lot* of computer languages in my life, so • it
is no big deal to learn another.

  I'd guess that TCL is easier to graft into an application.  It is my
understanding that TCL is tiny compared to perl.

  Features that I like in perl that may sway me one way or the other:
    Scalar, indexed arrays and associative arrays.
    Powerful and simple pattern recognition of string variables.
    Built in debugger.

  If these have counterparts in TCL then sign me up!

Kevin

[ ... snipped ... ]

I am not a Perl weenie - I have done a little with it but by no means would
I consider myself versed enough to sit down and write a Perl application.  I
have a Tcl bias - what can I say?  ;-)

I have not personally embedded Tcl in an application so I don't have any
relevant experience from that perspective.  It was designed from the
beginning to be embedded into other applications so it's architecture and
infrastructure are sound.  My experience is all on the scripting end -  I
have written a fair number of Tcl scripts, some stand-alone, most for one or
another of Mentor's tools - primarily ModelSim.  Tcl is easy to write and
easy read (important when other people will use your code).

I believe Tcl8 introduced the arrays you are looking for.  I suspect that if
you are a Perl power user, you will be underwhelmed by Tcl's string
processing (as compared to Perl) however Tcl does have a full complement of
regular expression stuff.

I just poked around a couple of the Tcl web sites (www.tcl.tk,
www.tcltk.com) and it looks like there are debuggers available although they
don't appear to be built into the 8.4 release.

Regardless of the language you choose (and pick which ever is best for your
interests), I think a scripting language would add a level of productivity
to the LPub process and allow people to do one-off tweaks on their own which
should reduce the number of enhancement requests that you have to deal with.

Mike

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com