 CAD / 9307
Re: LPub support for external POV post processors (was Sand Green)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.inst, lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 14:20:25 GMT

"Kevin Clague" <kevin_clague@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Mike,
  I like the external POV post processor idea a lot, although I'll try not
to use it as a catch all for denying LPub enhancements ;-)

  It would be a command line mechanism with command line arguments.  I can
see these things being possibly useful as arguments:

  POV-name
  dat-name
  step number

as well as whatever constant values you'd like to provide.  My experience
with running these external programs (like lsynth) is that you can run • into
command line length issues, so it is better to create a batch file for
running these things.  The batch file adds the neccessary directory to the
path, then invokes the post-processor with all the agruments.  LPub would
need to know the path of the program, and any parameters you might want. • I
could provide magic keywords that mean pov-name, dat-name, step-number, • etc,
and you could provide any constant arguments you might want as well.

Do we want post-processors for the temporary DATs before they are sent to
L3P, construction images, part list images, and BOMs as well?

This seems like a *very* handy concept for power users.

Discussion?

Kevin

Let's add a Tcl scripting interface!  Actually, it isn't a bad idea.  I
would think some of the processing steps I am thinking of could be handled
really easily with Tcl.

While I can't think any immediate need to post process .dat files, I am sure
someone else will.  I would imagine there will be a desire to do some sort
of user processing on any of the items you mention above.

However, I think your proposal above would address all of the items I can
think of right now.  Last night Steve Barile and I were discussing this very
topic.  He had a similar need with something he was doing with MegaPOV.  He
had to touch all of his POV files to add the necessary edge detect code.

Mike

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com