 CAD / 9306
Re: Sand Green and POV
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.inst, lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 14:06:43 GMT

"Kevin Clague" <kevin_clague@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:H90L2r.HM2@lugnet.com...
Mike,
  LPub has always used shadowless lights for building instructions. • 2.0.1.5
also has the ability to override ambient, diffuse and specular reflections
default values created by L3P.

  I now turn reflections off, set ambient to 0.7 and diffuse to 0.3.  This
creates a less realistic picture, and looks very nice.

  I've added the post-post-processing of POV files to the list.

Kevin

[ ... snipped ... ]

That is good news.  I suppose I should look closer at the generated POV code
before making assumptions!

It must be the reflections I am seeing that I assumed were shadows.  Take a
look at these two images:

Image No1:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/mpw/trains/locomotives/CTB-3107/ctb-3107.j
pg

Image No2:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/mpw/trains/locomotives/CTB-3107/ctb-3107_8
00x600.jpg

The first image was generated by LPub.  The shading I am trying to eliminate
is most noticeable towards the front of the train where green transitions to
white.  The second image is the scene I put together for the cover of my
instruction book[1].  It was generated by my old manual process - using
L3PAO and then manually swapping out the default light sources for the
include directive I mentioned earlier.

So now we are getting beyond my knowledge base - will the suggestions you
made above (turn reflections off, set ambient to 0.7 and diffuse to 0.3)
allow me to generate images that appear more like the one I generated
manually?

Thanks for your patience.

Mike

[1]  This train is a Christmas version of my Blue Tank Engine I built to run
around our Christmas tree.  I wanted to contrast the process of creating
instructions with LPub with my previous LD-Lite based process[2].  This
train was a good candidate because all of the CAD work is done already and I
had been through the process with the blue version.

[2] The result of my LD-Lite based process can be downloaded from:
http://www.carolinatrainbuilders.com/fmotm/0112/CTB-3105-std.pdf
Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com