 CAD / 13887
Re: Seeking Lugnet community help for a freeware computer game
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.cad, lugnet.gaming
Date:
Sun, 9 Jul 2006 22:22:53 GMT

On 06/07/06, Gabriel McGrath <gabesemail2000-spam@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

Hello,

I'm working on a free computer game, for a competition promoting
accessibility in gaming. (ie making games more accessable for older
players, younger players, people with disabilities)

Why post here?  I want to use lego for the graphics.
(And the competition ends in *August*, so I don't have much time!)

The game I'm remaking is the 1988 arcade game, Operaton Wolf.
http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=O&game_id=8927

I need helpers who can pose & photograph certain minifigs,
so I can use them in the game.  Any assitance will be credited!
The other option, is to render all this stuff with Povray.
I don't mind which way we go, but it needs to be "one or the other"
or else things won't match up.
We need to be able to have minifigs holding assorted guns,
and also posed to animate walking, falling when shot, etc.

I've done some research, and some appropriate minifigs include..
*Johnny Thunder (1355,1370)
*Max Villano (5901, 5902, 5956, 5976)
*Flex, Arctic (4742, 4774)
*Red Halter top (6401, 6409, 6411)
*Sparks (1277, 3348, 4930, 4990)

(That's why I've crossposted to adventurers & military)

I also need people up to the challenge of building
the vehicles in the game.
Good news: They don't look too complicated..
and you only need to build one side!
(like how Hollywood sets only have one side)

Here are some pictures to give you an idea of what's needed...
(if prompted, password is "lugnet")
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/David_Manning/Operation_Block/OpWolf_level1_sprites.png

And here's my attempt at building level 1, using the program "Return to
Blockland".
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/David_Manning/Operation_Block/OperationBlockWIP1.jpg

All help or hints VERY gratefully received!

I've requested help at other lego forums, and got no assistance.

I'm hoping Lugnetters are a bit nicer,
as I'm seriously running out of time with this project!

Gabriel

--

NB: swap "spam" for "lugnet" in my email address.  :-)

Hi there Gabriel,
This sounds very cool. I am not sure I can help you with provision of
sprites, but have you thought of using a script to convert LDraw
models to simpler meshes (with textures), and then animating those. I
know you are going for a somewhat retro look, but maybe a cell-shading
cartoon technique could be used, meanwhile animation and posing is
entirely down to you. I am crossposting this to lugnet.cad and
lugnet.gaming, which may help you out as those groups are far closer
to what you are trying to acheive.

One thing I do know a little about is game coding, having been a
professional one for a few years, so if you run into real difficulties
there, do ask. I am not sure what the correct Lugnet group would be
for that, as it is a little different from other stuff here, possibly
lugnet.cad.dev? Anyone?

Have you thought of asing for the fractal landscape generation code,
or just generating a few and rendering them to get your backgrounds?
You can get a consistent all block feel then.

You could get things like tanks, helicopters, trains and bunkers by
looking around on Lugnet, and brickshelf and asking people to use
their MOC's - I am sure some would oblige, but you may have to ask
them to volunteer such models, and do a bit of the dogwork yourself to
find them. I also remember one chap who id a whole range of pretty
realistic looking Lego ordinance, so you may want to find him too.

Anyway, good luck, I look forward to seeing the result.
--
Danny Staple MBCS
OrionRobots