 General / 52801
Re: Seeking Lugnet community help for a freeware computer game
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.cad, lugnet.gaming
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:01:59 GMT

On 10/07/06, Gabriel McGrath <gabesemail2000-spam@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
danny staple wrote:
On 06/07/06, Gabriel McGrath <gabesemail2000-spam@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

Hi there Gabriel,
This sounds very cool. I am not sure I can help you with provision of
sprites, but have you thought of using a script to convert LDraw
models to simpler meshes (with textures), and then animating those. I
know you are going for a somewhat retro look, but maybe a cell-shading
cartoon technique could be used, meanwhile animation and posing is
entirely down to you. I am crossposting this to lugnet.cad and
lugnet.gaming, which may help you out as those groups are far closer
to what you are trying to acheive.

Danny, thanks for the reply.
I have just discovered the Lcad->MLcad->l3p->povray method,
and though I've only done the first 2 steps, I can see
(having seen some nice POV renders on websites) the quality that can be
achieved.

Excellent. I use that to present stuff occasionally too. Its not bad
at all. Have you considered using LPub, which can do the gruntwork for
you? Also, using LGEO which can make things look a bit nicer, and
MEGAPov which gives the Lego a more cartoony outlined feel?

As for your suggestion re script/meshes, I'm afraid that sounds way
beyond my technical capabilities, and the time I have to achieve it.
So - I'll just go with a vanilla povray output.  :-)

No worries there. Another idea, if you use LDraw steps in your models
to animate, then LPub can output the whole set of steps. So you could
just then use those as frames of animation - hey presto, animated
sprites....

In that case you may laugh, as I'm using GameMaker.
But hey, as long as it works.

Fair enough. Even in the C++ side of thing, a lot, in fact most game
programming is based on the "Hey as long as it works" premise.. You
dont think we seriously code real world physics models, most of it is
hack, layered upon hack, which looks good to the viewer, but is
mathematically as simple as we can get away with to fool the audience.
That is the real art of game coding...

Have you thought of asing for the fractal landscape generation code,
or just generating a few and rendering them to get your backgrounds?
You can get a consistent all block feel then.

Again, that sounds way, way beyond my knowledge/ability, but thanks for
the thought.

Hmm, okay, I think MLCad has a menu item to generate a fractal
landscape, so you could just generate a few mountainous ones, and then
use the LPub through POV method to get good looking renders from them.
Easy enough, its all point and click then.

Geez, I've only discovered this whole "AFOL" thing,

Dont worry, it took me a few years too....

and already I know what "MOC" means.  TLAs galore!!
(3 letter acronyms)

You wont get away from that, take any geek/enthusiast group of adults,
add in computers (not necessary), and TLAs (or longer acronyms) will
be an inevitable result. Maybe when you build your MOCs, you may want
to look up build techniques like SNOT (Studs Not On Top).

Seriously, yes, could find military type MOCs about,
but I need them to look JUST LIKE the ones in Op Wolf,
so I suppose I'll have to build them myself.

Have fun. Are you going to go for any particular scale, or just build
them as big as they need to be for a good finish? At least by using
LDraw/MLCad you are not limiting yourself to your own box of Lego, and
might get away with colours on parts that may never have been made
with such colours...

If anyone is up for a challenge, I can supply the original sprites for
reference.  :-)

I wander if Op-Wolf can run in MAME, I am sure it does... That could
be a good reference for someone, especially if you can stop the game
and freeze the output.

Danny
--
Danny Staple MBCS