 General / 52822
52821  |  52823
Subject:
Virtual BrikWars?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.cad, lugnet.gaming.brikwars
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2006 22:58:32 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gabriel McGrath wrote:

Hello,

I'm working on a free computer game, for a competition promoting
accessibility in gaming. (ie making games more accessable for older
players, younger players, people with disabilities)

Why post here?  I want to use lego for the graphics.
(And the competition ends in *August*, so I don't have much time!)

The game I'm remaking is the 1988 arcade game, Operaton Wolf.
http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=O&game_id=8927

That looks pretty cool. I'm sorry but I don't think I can be of any assistance,
it's too much out of my areas. Your project reminds me a little of the Lego
environment and cars I made in another computer game, I think it was Micro
Machines.

I need helpers who can pose & photograph certain minifigs,
so I can use them in the game.  Any assitance will be credited!
The other option, is to render all this stuff with Povray.
I don't mind which way we go, but it needs to be "one or the other"
or else things won't match up.
We need to be able to have minifigs holding assorted guns,
and also posed to animate walking, falling when shot, etc.

I assume that you are doing this for a 2d game, or else you'll need the poses
for almost an infinite numbers of angles.

Here are some pictures to give you an idea of what's needed...
(if prompted, password is "lugnet")
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/David_Manning/Operation_Block/OpWolf_level1_sprites.png

And here's my attempt at building level 1, using the program "Return to
Blockland".
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/David_Manning/Operation_Block/OperationBlockWIP1.jpg

All help or hints VERY gratefully received!

It sure looks like a 2d game in my untrained eyes.

I've requested help at other lego forums, and got no assistance.
I'm hoping Lugnetters are a bit nicer,
as I'm seriously running out of time with this project!

I do hope you get the help you ask for here at the world's friendliest
community. :) Unfortunately, I don't have what it takes.

- - - - -

Has anyone tried to make a PC version of BrikWars? I started on it at the SweLUG
7 meet, but didn't continue when I got back home. I think BrikWars have several
drawbacks that a computerized version could help out!

* Rules issues. No more disputes over the rules. Program has the rules and rules
over the players.
* Time! Throwing dices, explaining who shoots who, displaying results, limiting
time for players to think can be speeded up/limited in the game options.
* Pausing/save-games for another day. No need to explain this point.

A LAN version should be great and very easy to accomplish. A web based one - I
don't know, but it donesn't sound impossible, does it?

At first, a very simple pilot version can be made. Even more simple than chess.
(btw I made my first war game on a chess board. Sorry, I don't remember any
rules)

Most important is a smart and easy framework for the data format. I think the
Win 3.x ini files is a good and versitile format, easy to access from different
platforms. Delphi for example, has ready to use functions for all kinds of
access to ini files.

There are to kinds of games I can think of. The one is the Counter Strike style.
It takes a free realtime 3d rendering engine we don't have at present. (Besides,
those kind of games bore me to death.)

The other is the board game style, somewhere between chess and Risk. The output
can be viewed in L3Lab, LDView or any LDraw compatible viewer with silent poll
for changes. Marching and falling soldiers, shooting guns and animated things
like that would be extremely cool, but not really necessary. The great gain with
this game would not be the visual effects but rather an engine that keeps the
score and rules. That's what I missed when I've watched BW being played.

What do you say? Has this already been done?

Finally, a question to BW players: In a turn, will a minifig soldier be able to:
* first move, then fire/strike?
* first fire/strike, then move?
* either fire/strike or move?

/Tore