 General / 52808
Re: Seeking Lugnet community help for a freeware computer game
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.cad, lugnet.gaming
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2006 10:29:16 GMT

On 11/07/06, Gabriel McGrath <gabesemail2000-spam@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
Ahh, I had read about LPub, but I thought it was just for showing
someone else how to build your model step-by-step?

Will download it now, as "X does the Gruntwork for you" is a very good
feature for me!  Yes, downloaded LGEO as I saw the benefits,
but will have a look at MEGAPov, although I think "realistic" is more
the angle I'm taking.

In terms of "showing someone how to build your model", you would still
normally have to put in the work to show what the steps were. All LPub
does is provide a point/click workflow for getting it all rendered out
into a directory full of image files. It uses POV/Megapov, LGEO etc to
perform the output steps. It allows you to configure stuff like
lighting settings, camera positioning, how much you want to render
(all build steps, complete assembly, sub assemblies etc), what format
to output to (Jpg, png, bmp etc), wether to use LGEO or not, what
shaing/rendering model to use (I recommend using the lowest to tweak
camera and most other output settings, then upping when you are
looking at lighting) and much other stuff.

No worries there. Another idea, if you use LDraw steps in your models
to animate, then LPub can output the whole set of steps. So you could
just then use those as frames of animation - hey presto, animated
sprites....

That sounds FANTASTIC..  just need to work out what LDraw steps are,
and how that works...   searching, searching....

If you have downloaded MLCad or similar, then there will be an "add
step" command you can place in, normally, this would be used to make
build steps - like starting with the initial plates, STEP, adding the
first layer of bricks on those, STEP, second layer, STEP etc.. But you
can also instruct it with commands like SHOW and HIDE (I think).

To use steps for animation, you would break the movable/animatable
parts of your MOC's into subassemblies, then place instances of them
all together in the main assembly. Then copy the instance of a part
you want to move, add a new step, hide the original instance, paste
your new one, and move it slightly (this could be a rotation or
something).

There, afaik, people starting to put together scripting systems and
command line tools to start to do more advanced animation with
interpolation etc for LDraw, but this is still in its infancy.

Danny
--
Danny Staple MBCS
OrionRobots