 Administrative / General / 12329
Re: Lugnet should be MORE draconian
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 10:19:55 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Jason Spears wrote:
Lugnet Admins should be given the power of:
1. Directly editting the posts of users without their consent.
2. Directly canceling the posts of users without their consent.
3. Suspending and/or banning users who repeatedly break the ToU.

I think this would make Lugnet a better place. And so I say "Please moderate
me!"

-Jason

I second that, Jason. Lugnet is one of the last forums on the 'net where admins
don't moderate posts directly. Fortunately, direct editing hasn't been needed
often. But in some cases, it was needed. Ofcourse, asking the poster to do it
himself is nice, but the time it takes them to do this, leaves too much time for
people to read the offending post and even quote it in their responses. And then
the admins will have to ask those posters to edit it, taking even more time.
No, I think it is good when an admin directly edits (takings out the offending
bits).

But to be absolutely clear towards Lugnet reader, posters and members, may I
suggest that some kind of note is placed in the edited post that tells you that
it has been edited? That will work two ways: when the original poster claims
that "that wasn't what I said" can be believed AND readers will know that the
original poster intended to use words that are not nice.

Mark "and the least edited poster this year is..." de Kock