 Administrative / General / 12307
Re: Lugnet should be MORE draconian
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 00:08:56 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
I can't wait to see the firestorm if/when LUGNET staff start editing
posts without permission :)

Kelly, I think you misspelled "poopstorm."

Anyway, that reminds me:  when the posting authentication stuff went in
a few years back, the architecture underneath was such that a post goes
through "stages" of life:  submitted, pending, then live or dead (dead
being when someone kills it before posting it).  The pending stage is
actually implemented as two half-steps, and the labels used intenerally
are "pen1" and "pen2".  (Here, the word "pen" means holding area, not
"pending," althought it's a double meaning.)  Currently, only "pen1" is
ever used -- this is where articles sit and wait for authentication.  The
purpose of "pen2" was to (someday, perhaps) have a second pending stage
where, after authentication, an article then sits and waits (cue the "I'm
Just a Bill" music) for a moderator to approve the message.

I don't know that bringing that partial implementation to fruition,
however, would really address the issues at hand, since it would create
bottlenecks everywhere.

I am wondering what life would be like if offensive posts were simply
flagged as such (somehow) after the fact, and then (by default) any
flagged article's text would be hidden behind a warning.

--Todd