 Administrative / General / 12360
Re: Lugnet should be MORE draconian
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 22:40:57 GMT

OK, maybe we really do need two different discussions to happen, but the
two are inextricably intertwined.  Filters would catch the slips and
that'd be a Good Thing(TM).  Admins then have to deal with the bad eggs
who intentionally try to beat the filters.  I think there are two ways
to deal with that :

1.  Make better filters
2.  Find a way to convince people to play nice.

#2 can either be draconian or "soft touch" but, human nature being what
it is, I think #1 is the most effective way to meet the intended goal : (

If a filter had caught Willy's transgression then there likely wouldn't
have been any further discusion.  It'd be done and over with.

Just think of it as validating user input.  Not only can't some joker
buy negative quantities of widgets, we won't let them drop f-bombs in
the comments field.

I'll even volunteer to help code said filters : )

Leonard Hoffman wrote:
The problem is that we're not dealing with momentary issues where someone
mistypes or whatnot.  Willy went out of his way to use a cuss, and then went out
of his way to obfuscate the Admin's process of dealing with his cuss.