 Administrative / General / 12296
Re: Lugnet should be MORE draconian
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 23:11:17 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Leonard Hoffman wrote:

<snip>

This would allow the Admins to be more immeadiate and complete in their attempt
to police Lugnet.  It would also be easier for users to obey the ToU, especially
when they remain ignorant of policy updates in .admin.general.  The whole
she-bang would flow a lot smoother.

-Lenny

*cough* /toggle filter on *cough*

;)

Yes times change, but what word out of Carlin's 7 is appropriate now to post on
LUGNET as opposed to when they first came out?

Simple--none.  Not one of those words should be used here.

So a language filter that would change those 7 words into $##W$%, as well as
whatever words that are 'dictated' by the evolution of society.

Sure have a link to the 'unedited post' or have a flag (or cookie) that will
filter or not depending on the setting--whatever works as far as codeing.

I'm not leaving LUGNET, no matter what Chris is offering me (inside joke so
don't worry 'bout it)  I love it here, I love posting, I love reading, I love
the general 'good feeling' that comes with hanging out iwth many FOL's.  The
issue, for me, is the uneven way this issue is handled and, as you yourself
stated, Lenny, some 'bad' posts are still there for all to see (since LUGNET
doesn't censor).

Where does that get us?  Either we allow bad words or we don't and get rid of
them all.  This 'laissez faire' sometimes and 'crackdown' at other times will
just embitter people.

It's like the guy who had one foot on fire and one foot encased in ice--the
average is a nice room temp, but still, neither foot is happy.

It needs fixing.  I suggest that codeing'll do it, either as the person posts,
or as people display.  It's been done before in other areas and I think it'll
work here.

Then again, I'm not a programmer, just tech support :)

Dave K