 Administrative / General / 12295
Re: Bye, bye LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 22:58:07 GMT

On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 08:10:24PM +0000, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
However, this is a side issue on the semantics of a slippery word. The
real issue, to paraphrase, is why people are asked to cancel a post if
it violates the ToS. In a nutshell: rules are rules, and LUGNET can
choose to enforce the published rules, or not.

That's almost the issue.  I think the issue is that the admins say it's
'asking' when in fact it's 'forcing'.  Yes, you can choose not to cancel
your post, and leave LUGNET forever, or you can give in.  It's like
saying "I'm not robbing you, I'm just pointing this gun at you, and you
choose to give me your wallet".  Yes, it's a hyperbole, but I think it's
apt.

I would much rather the admins just go ahead and remove posts they find
objectionable.  Then, the original poster can actually choose if they
want to repost or not.

--
Dan Boger
dan@peeron.com