 Administrative / General / 12328
Re: Bye, bye LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 09:34:58 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Jason S. Mantor wrote:
Paul Sinasohn wrote:
IMHO,

It would take a huge amount of processing power to analyze the text of every
single post. THat's why human brains do it here, not computers.

umm... I think you underestimate just how fast the lugnet server
hardware is and that the posts are already indexed to be searchable.

This url (which has been sanitized) found all occourances of one
of 7 dirty words in 0.2 seconds.  To get them all would take negligable
time and effort .

try it yourself : )

http://news.lugnet.com/?q=fsck

things like spaces, etc can easily be filtered with a regex.

-JSM

A chat site that my wife used to use had a similar profanity replacement
program, it replaced the words with amusing alternative that sometime gave a
clue to the original word. However, with a bit of testing it was obvious that:
A: There were many words missing from the dictionary, especially regional
variations.
B: It was very easy to subvert with alternative characters, spelling etc.
This means that to stop a determined profanist (or what ever the word is) the
dictionary would have to be huge. Luckily there aren't many here!

Tim