 Trains / 8680
Re: My newest creation, Hell Gate Bridge NY
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 10 Dec 2000 18:23:03 GMT

The yellow Technic bridge is a bow truss.  It is not an arch.  Truss members
are either in tension or compression and truss joints are assumed to be
pinned or hinged.  An arch works in compression.

All of the bridges mentioned are cool!

Build On!
John Matthews

Scott A <eh105jb@mx1.pair.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.trains, James Trobaugh writes:
Looks like the arch is made from 4.5v curved rails, right Arne? I really
like the look of it, very sturdy and even looking. Nice job.

I'd have to argue with the "two" arch bridges though, I have a technic • arch
bridge that I made earlier this year.

http://www.ngltc.org/GRNBRG2000/image6.htm
http://www.ngltc.org/gats2k/image19.htm

It not a steep arch, but an arch just the same :)

Well, no, I'd have to categorise it as a type of through truss.

I was going to leave this, but now that you started...

I agree that is not a arch, and I expect that is was modelled on a truss.
However, I'd call it a frame as it is pin jointed (trusses, I think are
not). However, to be a frame all the members have to be in _pure_ tension • or
compression (ie no bending moments). This is not the case with James's
bridge. Additionally, the frame is statically indeterminate as it is not
"perfect". To be a perfect frame:

m=2j-3

m=the number of members
j=number of joints

If it were a real structure, I'd expect it to have considerable movement.

Basically, the problem is, it is not constructed from triangles. Despite
that, it is fit for its intended purpose, and it does look very good.

(This is mostly from memory, structural engineering was part of my UG
degree, (I did peak at my copy of Durka{1} to get terminology) - I am open
to correction on this. )

Hell Gate and Sydney Harbor Bridge, for example, are suspension arch
bridges. Essentially all members below the arch are in tension and the • deck
is suspended from the arch. (The arch itself is usually either done as a
truss, with some members in tension and some in compression, or as an all
compression solid or fabricated structure)

Steve's bridge, and the Rainbow Bridge at Niagara Falls, for example, are
cantilever arches... Essentially all the members of a cantilever arch are • in
compression, with the deck carried above the arch.

Trusses are characterised by a mixture of compression and tension • members.
Unless all the members below the arc of the top chord are in tension,
(including the deck stringers) it's a truss, not an arch. I believe.

I posted a link to a site that gave good bridge information in this group
some time in the past, but I'm too lazy to dig it up again.

A key point here, though, is that the model that started this discussion • is
very very nifty.

it is indeed.

Scott A

{1} Durka - almost schoolboy level SE