 Trains / 8620
Re: My newest creation, Hell Gate Bridge NY
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 11:57:21 GMT

I'm not a civil, thanks for refining my critique.

In lugnet.trains, Scott Arthur writes:

Well, no, I'd have to categorise it as a type of through truss.

I was going to leave this, but now that you started...

I agree that is not a arch, and I expect that is was modelled on a truss.
However, I'd call it a frame as it is pin jointed (trusses, I think are
not). However, to be a frame all the members have to be in _pure_ tension or
compression (ie no bending moments). This is not the case with James’s
bridge. Additionally, the frame is statically indeterminate as it is not
"perfect". To be a perfect frame:

m=2j-3

m=the number of members
j=number of joints

If it were a real structure, I’d expect it to have considerable movement.

Basically, the problem is, it is not constructed from triangles. Despite
that, it is fit for its intended purpose, and it does look very good.

Oh, indeed, it looks nifty. It's just not an arch. I'm not competent to
comment on whether trusses can't be pinned, though.

While we are identifying arches, though, I thought Ben "April Fool" Beneke
did one, no? I can't find it at the mo.

There are others out there, I think.

{1} Durka – almost schoolboy level SE
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0582251990/qid=976273366/sr=1-5/106-5958974-3391625

Thanks for the ref.. out of print, though. What I'd like to have is
something more like a "bridge spotter's guide" with examples of all the
different interesting types and discussion of when you'd see them in use,
rather than a tome on how to analyse them... Following some refs got me to
textbooks that cost 250 USD and up!!!

++Lar