 Trains / 8537
Re: motorized points - finally got it!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2000 23:24:46 GMT

Here's some pics on brickshelf. Sorry that they are blurry, the digi-cam I
have dosen't seem to do well at close range.

SteveB
PS No modifications where made on the switch!

In lugnet.trains, Steven Barile writes:
Yippy I finally got it!
I have created a motorized switch track that ran 100 switches via RCX
without tearing the housing apart or miss firing! After 100 I got tired
of counting and I just stopped it, so it might go for several hundred. It
sits flush with the bottom of the points so no plate(s) are used below the
track. The yellow throw arm was removed so the link is direct to the dark
gray slider. It is very small and uses a small 8 toothed gear directly
against a rack. The motor is the new motor with built in gear reduction. The
motor is mounted such that the axel point straight down and the rack is on
the side of a technic beam. The housing is pinned in two dimensions so
things are held together very well.
I programmed it with the stock RCX software. There is no feedback sensor
used. The program is simple:

power = 8
on for .1 sec
power = 4
on for .1 sec

I ran this in a loop with a "2 sec wait" and "motor reverse" statements.

I'll post pics add building instructions in the next couple days.

SteveB
PNLTC