 Trains / 8494
Re: motorized points - beating a dead horse
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 2000 05:35:06 GMT

Anyone know this address? Still hammering on solving this one!
SteveB

In lugnet.trains, Steven Barile writes:
Michael
I can't seem to get to your URL. Can you check it and reply. I really can't
wait to see what you have done.
SteveB

In lugnet.trains, Michael Lachmann writes:
You could try my switch - http://www.users.xpoint.at/m.lachmann/default.htm
look out for Lego  and Models ... I build this thing using a rubber-band so
you can let it run without the switch destroying itself. Just let the motor
run a view seconds until the point switches it's position.

Michael

sebarile-MOBL <steve.e.barile@intel.com> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
G4v1EK.6yF@lugnet.com...
Hi All,
Currently I am attempting to build an automated hump yard. The main • problem
I'm tackling is the RCX controlled motorized points. I've spent 7 hours • over
the last two days trying to build a motorized switch track that will run
forever with out ripping itself off the base plates and be very • *forgiving*
at the edges of both states, turn or straight. What I mean by forgiving is
that the motor doesn't burn up or the gears do not get stripped off.

I like really simple and elegant solutions. For instance I would like to • be
CPU switched with no feedback, again forgiving at the edges of both states
such that the motor can spin for 1.5 secs and not reap havoc. Hanging
elaborate clutch systems with differentials and angle sensors would not be
my first choice. Of course beggers can't be choosers.

Yes I have tried a bunch of slip gear configurations and the 2.5N/cm • doesn't
seem to over come the internal detent.

Yes I looked at several designs on the web, I could have missed something.

After at least 10 iterations I am still staring at a desktop full
of disassembled bricks.

Any ideas? Help?
SteveB
PNLTC