 Trains / 8453
Re: motorized points - beating a dead horse
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2000 00:21:31 GMT

"sebarile-MOBL" <steve.e.barile@intel.com> wrote in message
Hi All,
Currently I am attempting to build an automated hump yard. The main • problem
I'm tackling is the RCX controlled motorized points. I've spent 7 hours • over
the last two days trying to build a motorized switch track that will run
forever with out ripping itself off the base plates and be very • *forgiving*
at the edges of both states, turn or straight. What I mean by forgiving is
that the motor doesn't burn up or the gears do not get stripped off.

<snip>

Any ideas? Help?
SteveB
PNLTC

If you don't mind a touch-sensor, you could try this one:
This automated point sports 1000+ cycles (175 msec switch time) without a
glitch.
Mario Ferrari built a sensorless (obviously without feedback) version, and
it still performs fairly well.
The RCX program needed is very simple (a few rows of NQC code). I can post
it if you want.

BTW, I used two of them in an automated yard you can see here:
http://www.itlug.org/
(go to "Events", "Legofest VI")

Cheers
Carlo