 Trains / 6704
Re: FOTY - Xmas in July
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 18:57:14 GMT

Richard:

In lugnet.trains, Steve Bliss writes:
[this should be FUT'ed to somewhere else, but I'm just briefly jumping in,
someone else can take the ng-management lead]

In lugnet.trains, richard marchetti wrote:

You can't date bricks,

This turns out to be mostly not true. You can indeed date bricks, not
precisely to the day they were molded but the more common elements have went
through many variations. Ask Gary Istok, one of the experts in this area, or
root around Lugnet and find the picture of the 4x8 wing and its variations
that Todd posted.

The most meticulous of set reconstructors insist that the set bricks come from
the right era. Not my cup of tea, I'm not that caring. But some people find it
fun and find it to be quite challenging to get things just so.

you can't match up the bricks from a particular set --

Set Instance yes, you are correct. Mingle 4 4558s and you'll never tell which
grey brick came from which original set.

Set Type, no you are not correct, you can indeed match some bricks to
particular sets, as Steve so ably demonstrated. A maidens hat in a particular
color is available from one set only. If you have it in your junkpile, the
person you got the junkpile probably had the set.

This in fact is a very valuable thing for a set reconstructor, find rare
elements and you've narrowed possibilities. Minifigs are a great starting
point but any printed element is a valuable clue as well.

Again, I don't have as much time to reconstruct as I would like, but it is a
fun part of the sub hobby, and if I had more time I'd indulge my fascination
with it as well.

Get your nose out of the air (or wherever you have it) and be a little more
tolerant of the way that others enjoy the hobby. There are so many ways and
areas to be interested in. It's OK that what you like to do is open up MIS
Boxes and build with them. Nothing wrong with that, you acquired them, they're
yours to do with as you wish. Other people like to collect perfect copies and
look at them. Some people like to do both. That's as it should be, to each his
own, if it feels good, do it.

If you can enjoy both of these two facets of the hobby, great. If you can't,
certainly, make a choice based on what you like  But don't spurn those who
choose to engage in different parts of it. And don't look askance at the
person who has multiple copies of something either because he is trying to
support his hobby by selling them later, or because he has big plans and will
be using them all.

FUT lugnet.general unless you want to make nothing but snide remarks, in which
case /dev/null seems right to me, but perhaps .off-topic.debate?

++Lar