 Trains / 6705
Re: Slightly OT - Microsoft Train Simulator
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 18:59:59 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Kevin Wilson writes:
Larry Pieniazek wrote:
Were I picking out the world's most famous individual locomotive, a number • of
candidates spring to mind that have nothing to do with the Flying • Scotsman...

<snip list of one UK, on German and 7 US steam locos>

I doubt if any of us is qualified to even suggest what is the worlds
most famous steam loco, if one goes by the number of people worldwide
who have heard of it. Who knows which the millions of people in China or
India have heard of? Of your listed US locos, Larry, I remember hearing
of 3: and I've been reading MR at erratic intervals for the last 19
years.  That makes me doubtful how many people outside the US would have
heard of them, especially people who are not specifically interested in
trains.

Exactly my point, thanks for the confirmation. Although the MS flacks did
qualify it by saying "arguably", they're no more entitled to claim what's
famous than you or I are. And arguably less, since they're just flacks who
thought maybe a little line extension would be cool but with no idea of why a
train simulator is even a good idea.

++Lar