 Trains / 6696
Re: Slightly OT - Microsoft Train Simulator
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 15:44:41 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:

Looks like you have a choice of 9 trains.  Here's a blurb from one:

                          · The Flying Scotsman Railways. Enthusiasts chug
along some of England's most beautiful countryside in the late 1920s in
                          what is arguably the world's most famous steam
locomotive.

"World's most famous steam loco"?!!!  Krike!  And I thought the Universe
stopped revolving around England about 200 years ago.  Give me a break!

J2 is right again. While the train itself may be famous (but arguably, the
Orient Express is more famous) the locomotive is no great shakes, and there
were more than one of them, with nothing to make one particular instance stand
out (it says "locomotive" not "locomotive class").

Were I picking out the world's most famous individual locomotive, a number of
candidates spring to mind that have nothing to do with the Flying Scotsman...

Stephenson's Rocket (Stockton and Darlington Time Trials winner)
Der Adler (first german loco)
The DeWitt Clinton (first loco in NY although not the first US)
Tom Thumb (winner of B&O loco design competition)
The General (famous civil war loco)
Jupiter (golden spike at the transcon completion)
NYC 999 (land speed record holder)
the IC loco that Casey Jones recklessly piloted to his death
UP 8444 (most famous US steamer still operating)

The thing about programmers is that they hate to write anything other than
code... so the marketers write the ad copy.

And the thing about marketers is... they're clueless.

Those are both stereotypes and not exactly true, but you get the idea.

++Lar