 Trains / 6702
Re: Slightly OT - Microsoft Train Simulator
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 17:25:15 GMT

J2 is right again. While the train itself may be famous (but arguably, the
Orient Express is more famous) the locomotive is no great shakes, and there
were more than one of them, with nothing to make one particular instance stand
out (it says "locomotive" not "locomotive class").

Hehehe...4472 (The Flying Scotsman) _is_ a individual loco, as well as
describing a class (A1 Gresley Pacific), and the train.

I would say it is as well known _around the world_ if not better than any other
engine.  It is one of 2 locos I know of to have ran in 3 continents. (Aus, USA
and UK)...there are no surviving US locos that can claim that
distiction...whereas there are 2 UK locos that can.

Therefore, I would state that it would be a fair engine to use as a "Famous"
engine.  That, and Mallard are the likely UK engines to be selected.

If you want a good simulation, I have a non graphical one that is a very
accurate thermodynamic simulation of steam...it includes all the real problems
that happen (if you fill the boiler too full, you prime, you can stall on
hills...all sorts of stuff)

James