 Trains / 6703
Re: FOTY - Xmas in July
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 18:22:23 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote:
In lugnet.trains, richard marchetti wrote:

You can't date bricks, you can't match up the bricks from a particular set --

Good point.  There was a very nice discussion about 'what is the soul of a
set?' some time ago.

Well, you can date bricks to some degree. I have some bricks that I know
are from the 60s because they're CA.

ultimately, they are not very good as a collectable because anyone with the
few specialized pieces can put together a Guarded Inn with other bricks added
in and PRETEND that it should command a fortune for its rarity (FS: Guarded
Inn without box or instructions $250). Pfah!  What nonsense!

Guarded Inn is possibly a bad example (I won't/can't say definitely, I
don't have the set).  It includes a number of pieces which are not only
*unusual* or *rare*, but very unique.  The only way to build up a Guarded
Inn is to get all the unique pieces, and add the more-common element.  The
most likely way to get the rare/unique pieces is to take them out of an
existing Guarded Inn.  And that defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

The uniqueness factor certainly is a good point. I just hope the owners
of the parts for three incomplete Guarded Inns eventually put their
parts in a lot I discover (I lucked into three sets of the red printed
castle walls unique to the Guarded Inn, so all I'm missing of the set
that is absolutely unique is the sign, and perhaps the goblet, and the
sign is the only part I'd really love to have).

If the bulk purchases ever get where we really want them to go, it is
likely that the only parts unique to sets will be printed parts.

Enjoy it, build with it, take pictures of it, tell stories with it -- but in
the end remember: It's just plastic bits, folks!

double-plus agree.

Right now, I have ONE set which I am marginally considering keeping as a
sealed box, but otherwise agree.

FUT lugnet.general

--
Frank Filz